Thursday, December 13, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments

Before the baby came I got to make a little bit of a mess....
 Fun right?! I thought I would make some salt dough ornaments/gift tags! I showed you the ornament last month in my Christmas post...so I thought I would attempt it myself! It was very easy..the only thing that I didn't like was that I had "unbleached" all purpose flour...so they are not very white..I am thinking I am going to have to paint them now!

Anyway, here are the ones I made:
 Do you see the paw print ones?! The cats were easy but Sadie wanted to eat the dough the entire time...hahahahh I had to do hers quickly.

And here is the recipe I found at Oleander and Palm:

Salt Dough
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
1cup water

Mix all ingredients together with a mixer until a smooth dough forms.  To dry the dough, bake in a 250F oven for at least 3 hours. For the ones with black I just used  a normal stamp and stamp pad to make it show up...but am thinking I am going to have to paint over it because I don't like the yellow colour! boo. I also put the ornaments on parchment paper! I used an end of a paint brush to make the holes!


I decided to paint them because I wasn't happy with the "yellow" colour. Here they are after I painted them

I thought I would be able to re-stamp them...but that didn't work out! Then I tried using a fine tip marker but they just looked ridiculous. SO I threw out the "To/from" ones and the candy cane ones!!

I decided to glitter the rest and used a coffee filter to keep the glitter all in one place

Here are the finished ornaments!

I was going to give the "P" away to all of Mike's family but I don't think they look good enough to give away!! I did put the paws on my tree though. I love them!!!


So...next time...get real white flour and all will be good! :)

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment